- To increase tree cover outside the forest areas.
- To encourage participation of people and institutions in plantation related activities.
- To increase the production of forest produce (Small timber, firewood, fodder, fruits and other NTFP) to meet the daily needs of the local population and thereby compliment supplies from the forest areas.
- To suitably use low productive and non productive lands through tree plantation.
- To increase income of local people through tree planting.
- To create livelihood opportunities to economically backward sections of rural communities.
- To improve carbon stock in the tree cover outside forest areas.